Saturday, May 19, 2012

Personal Childhood Web

                               Mom and Dad during my wedding!

To be honest, most of my childhood memories are really fuzzy.  I can't tell if they are memories or stories that I've heard over the years. But there are a few things that I remember. Here are the people that made the most impact in my life in my childhood.

Mom - My Mom did everything for me, especially she packed the pizza rolls for lunch. Pretty much that was all I needed to be a happy kid. Those pizza rolls were like an underground currency at my school. I could trade those pizza rolls for anything. Thanks, mom!

Dad - My dad worked so hard. I wanted to be just like him. I only saw him occasionally in the mornings and mostly on the weekends, but he was super cool. We always did an activity on the weekends, mostly went to the golf range to hit golf balls. But then I was more interested in chasing bugs than hitting golf balls.

Grandma - We lost Grandma last year, but she was the one who put in the most time with me when I was pre-K. She taught me Korean, and she hugged me when I needed it. Grandma was always there for me. I think even slept next her until I was in Kindergarten.

Chong, my big bro - Chong is my big brother by 4 years. He's the reason all his friends call me Cheech. I think he was the was one who directly influenced me the most. Everything he did I wanted to do. I was probably the first kid in 2nd grade to listen to Run DMC. I loved rap, mainly because he loved rap.

Aunt Erika - Aunt Erika came from Korea when I was about 4. She drove me to and fro daycare, preschool and Kindergarten. She was also the one that I could get to buy me things. HAHA.

These five people are integral parts of my life and still influence my life on a daily basis. My folks were really busy when I was a kid, but they made time for me and my bro. I want to make sure I make time for my son.

I wish I could post pictures but all my pictures are in LA and I'm in Korea.

4 comments:

  1. I can agree with you my parents and family all were busy, and my mom still is on the go. They always made time for the younger generation though. I look back on my life and I want to make sure that I do the same thing for my son. Family is a major part in rearing a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture of your parents at your wedding. I wanted to laugh when I read that you didn't remember things from your childhood because it was fuzzy. I think we are all in the same situtation to a degree. Many times our fondest memories are really about the stories that people tell more so than the actual remembering of them ourselves. Sounds like you had a great support system. I hope to get see more pictures at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I would like to say that is a nice picture of your parents. seems to me you had good support even though things were a little fuzzy during your childhood. One thing that seem to stick with every one is mom cooking we can always remeber that. there is nothing like moms cooking. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jae,
    Thanks for reminding me that I got a head start in music thanks to my oldest sister! And like you, I wanted to be like my sisters, get married and have three children; we were full on in our roles. Luckily, I wedded much later but only had one biological child. This took me years to come to terms with.
    You must have had so much fun! I can hear it in your words especially when you talk about your grandmother. She was there for you as we say! These five people gave you a powerful demonstration of love that will spill over to your son. Will you teach your son Korean? How attached are you to Korean culture? Our Russian friend who has a Russian Korean American son recently married a Korean American man and moved to El Salvador on a governmental assignment. Their daughter was born in El Salvador last February. Do you identify to a specific culture? How does each play out? Does your identity not depend on any of these cultures?

    ReplyDelete